Concerned about your insurance? Keep Reading
What issues should I consider when reviewing P&C insurance?
Raise your hand if you love insurance…
Property and casualty insurance policies are an integral part of a financial plan. It’s important to review these policies each year to ensure that you has the coverage you need. If there are gaps, you can work with your insurance company to implement proper coverage.
In this checklist we focus on issues to consider when reviewing your policies, including:
- Did you buy or sell a primary residence or vacation property? It’s important to review your coverage, and perhaps your insurer (direct AND true), in order to ensure that the policies cover an adequate amount of the property’s replacement value.
- Have you made substantial improvements to the property or has the property appreciated significantly in value? You should be sure that your coverage keeps up with any increases in the value of the property.
- You should review your collision and comprehensive coverage. Depending upon the age of the vehicle and other factors, you may want to make some adjustments.
- Not driving much, insurance policies have been created just for you.
- Are your children now of driving age? If so, you need to be sure that the children are covered as drivers and that their liability limits are adequate.
- If you own personal property with a value that exceeds the ordinary policy limits, you may need to schedule these items to ensure coverage.
- This is incredibly important if you are a collector!
- If you need additional liability coverage over and above what their homeowner’s policy offers, you may need an umbrella policy.
This is a comprehensive checklist of the types of issues that advisors should be discussing with their clients when reviewing their property and casualty insurance policies. These types of policies play a key part in their overall financial planning and in protecting their family’s assets from losses of all magnitudes.
Download our checklist here. Clients – we have the ability to send you an interactive checklist.